Campbell Brother – Ian Urim Campbell
March 1, 1983 – January 25, 2022
It is with great sadness we announce that Ian Campbell, husband, father, son and brother has passed on. Ian bravely and gracefully lived with stage 4 colon cancer for 5 ½ years. During this time he carried on as full a life as possible given the circumstances, remaining very active in his daughter’s life and continuing to make great memories with family and friends. His love of the ocean and all things Bonzer ran deep in his DNA, many of you worked closely with Ian putting together your custom boards. While enduring periodic chemotherapy treatments, we were fortunate to enjoy some fun surf sessions with him. During one memorable go out at Oxnard Shores, a good size set rolled in and while dear ole Dad was scratching to get over the top, Ian whipped around for a late takeoff, made the drop and got a great ride.
Our family will never be the same, but we are all the better for having been blessed with his presence, energy, and love.
This leads to us announcing the BALSA BONZER RAFFLE.
We are conducting an online raffle to raise funds for Ian’s wife, Allyson and daughter, Nora. Our friend of 50 Years, Bill ‘Blinky’ Hubina of Ventura Surf Shop, built a beautiful Balsa and Redwood blank for me to shape a board for this purpose. Rachel and Chris of Studio 609 contributed their exquisite glass work and Marlin Bacon of 101 Fins pitched in a set of his classic Bamboo Bonzer Fins. I shaped this solid Balsa 7’11’’ Bonzer 3 with my Skil 100 planer and hand tools. The result of this collaboration is a one-of-a-kind expression of 50 years of Bonzer love in honor of Ian Urim Campbell.
Peace and Love,
Malcolm & The Campbell Family
- The raffle is open worldwide
- Each raffle ticket is $50, there is no limit to the number of tickets one can purchase
- Contributors will receive a Bonzer 50 Year anniversary tee shirt (one shirt per person) (USA only)
- If shipping of the board is necessary for the winner, Campbell Brothers will cover one half of the cost
- A Balsa Bonzer photo essay booklet will be provided with the board
- ***This board lands squarely in the “Wall Hanger” category, it is not meant to be surfed
- Currently on display at the Ventura Surf Shop
UDATE: As of March 2nd, the raffle has officially closed. Thanks to everyone you contributed, we plan to pull the winning ticket in a couple weeks time live on Instagram. We will announce when that exact date is determined.